At The Terrace
- Saturday, May 27, 17:45 Mal Seh’n Kino
- Sunday, May 28, 14:30 Mousonturm Saal
- Japan 2016, DCP, 95 min, Japanese with English subtitles
- Director & script: Kenji YAMAUCHI
- Production: Geek Pictures
- Camera: Kiyoaki HASHIMOTO
- World sales: Article Films
- Cast: Kei ISHIBASHI, Kami HIRAIWA, Ryuta FURUYA, Kenji IWAYA, Hiroaki MOROOKA
- German premiere in the presence of the director
- Competition Nippon Cinema Award
During a mild summer night, a party is winding down at a luxurious mansion in a Tokyo suburb. As Haruko’s elegant white arms draw so much attention, her dispute with the hostess launches an avalanche of jealous provocations. Eventually all masks and inhibitions are dropped. YAMAUCHI presents a vibrant adaptation of his play “Trois Grotesques”, which won the prestigious Kishida Drama Award in 2015.
Kenji YAMAUCHI, born in Tokyo in 1958, started his career in the film business as a scriptwriter in 1983. After writing for numerous TV productions during the 1990s, he switched to theater in 2004 and founded his own ensemble in 2006. He has already staged a number of successful plays. AT THE TERRACE is his third feature film and received much acclaim at the 2016 Tokyo International Film Festival.
2011 Being Mitsuko (Mitsuko kankaku); 2015 Her Father, My Lover (Tomodachi no papa ga suki / NC ’16)