- Preserving Japanese Cinema in All Its Forms
- Saturday, May 27, 15:30 Mousonturm Studio 1
- Participants: Tom Mes (author), Andreas Heidenreich (programmer at Caligari FilmBühne / Deutsches Filmhaus, Wiesbaden), Atsuko MORIMUNE (film curator at Kawasaki City Museum), Keiko ARAKI (director of PIA Film Festival, Tokyo), Stephan Holl (executive director of Rapid Eye Movies, Cologne)
- Duration: approx. 1,5 hours
- Panel discussion in English
- Free admission
The National Film Center in Tokyo, among other organizations, is the central archiving institution for all Japanese film. A predominant focus is hereby laid on 16mm and 35mm film, but who is responsible for the conservation of all those independently produced 8mm films or the direct-to-video productions of directors such as Takashi MIIKE and Kiyoshi KUROSAWA? Book author Tom Mes, along with a group of experts, will debate questions about the current standing of Japan’s cinematic inheritance and how its certain demise might be prevented.