The Emperor in August
- Sunday, May 28, 19:45 Mousonturm Saal (mit Preisverleihung)
Nihon no ichiban nagai hi
- Japan 2015, DCP, 136 min, Japanese with English subtitles
- Director: Masato HARADA
- Script: Masato HARADA based on a story by Kazutoshi HANDO
- Production: “The Emperor in August” Film Partners
- Camera: Takahide SHIBANUSHI
- World sales: Shochiku
- Cast: Koji YAKUSHO, Masahiro MOTOKI, Tori MATSUZAKA, Shinichi TSUTSUMI, Tsutomu YAMAZAKI
- German premiere in the presence of the NIPPON HONOR AWARD winner Koji YAKUSHO
In the last weeks before the end of World War II, the war efforts of the Japanese Empire seem to be doomed. Emperor Hirohito is faced with a difficult decision – disgraceful capitulation or honorable death? In the role of the Minister of the Army, this year’s NIPPON HONOR AWARD winner Koji YAKUSHO gives one of the most captivating performances of his long career.
Masato HARADA was born in Numazu in 1949. His first work as a director was GOODBYE FLICKMANIA (1979). To a Western audience HARADA is likely best known for his starring role in the U.S. big budget film THE LAST SAMURAI (2003). Since their first collaboration on KAMIKAZE TAXI (1995), HARADA has worked with Koji YAKUSHO repeatedly.
1987 The Heartbreak Yakuza (Saraba itoshiki hito yo); 1995 Kamikaze Taxi; 1997 Bounce Ko Gals (NC ’00); 2001 Inugami (NC ’02); 2008 Climber’s High; 2012 Chronicle of My Mother (Waga haha no ki)