- Thursday, May 25, 22:15 Naxoshalle Kino
- Japan / USA / Netherlands / Taiwan 2016, Blu-ray, 119 min, Japanese with English subtitles, released to age 12 or older
- Director & script: Daisuke MIYAZAKI
- Camera: Akiko ASHIZAWA
- Production & world sales: Deep End Pictures
- Cast: Hanae KAN, Nina ENDO, Reiko KATAOKA, Haruka UCHIMURA, Koji SHISHIDO
- German premiere in the presence of the director
- Competition Nippon Visions Jury Award and Nippon Visions Audience Award
Yamato, near Tokyo, hosts the biggest U.S. naval airbase in the Pacific. But it’s a drab town for high school dropout Sakura, who dreams of being a rapper. When her mother’s boyfriend, a G.I., sends his daughter Rei, who grew up in San Francisco, for a visit, a friendship develops between the two girls. Daisuke MIYAZAKI explores the political and cultural crisis that many of his compatriots sense.
Daisuke MIYAZAKI, born in Yokohama in 1980, graduated from Waseda University and then worked as a production assistant and assistant director for Leos Carax and Kiyoshi KUROSAWA, among others. His debut feature film END OF THE NIGHT (2011) was a big success in Japan and on the international festival circuit. In 2015 he participated in the Berlinale Talents program, directing the Japanese segment in the omnibus film 5 TO 9.
2011 End of the Night (Yoru ga owaru basho)