- Friday, May 26, 22:30 Mousonturm Saal
- Saturday, May 27, 20:00 Mal Seh’n Kino
- Japan 2016, DCP, 104 min, Japanese with English subtitles
- Director: Tetsuya MARIKO
- Script: Tetsuya MARIKO, Kohei KIYASU
- Production: “Destruction Babies” Film Partners
- Camera: Yasuyuki SASAKI
- World sales: Shochiku
- Cast: Yuya YAGIRA, Masaki SUDA, Nana KOMATSU, Nijiro MURAKAMI, Sosuke IKEMATSU
- German premiere in the presence of the director
- Competition Nippon Cinema Award
18-year-old Taira regularly provokes strangers into fist fights. He is soon joined by high schooler Yuya, who pushes him towards ever more senseless acts of violence. This uncompromising film paints an extremely pessimistic image of Japanese society, where aimless youths lose themselves in a spiral of violence while being cheered on by the media.
Presented by Toxic Sushi
Tetsuya MARIKO was born in Tokyo in 1981. He studied at Hosei University, Image Forum and Tokyo University of the Arts. His first short film THE FAR EAST APARTMENT (2003) received numerous prizes, while his graduation feature film at Tokyo University of the Arts YELLOW KID (2009) was screened at various film festivals. He was invited to Locarno for the first time with his short film NINIFUNI.
2009 Yellow Kid