- Saturday, May 27, 20:15 Mousonturm Saal
- Japan 2017, DCP, 117 min, Japanese with English subtitles
- Director & script: Shinobu YAGUCHI
- Production: Altamira Pictures, Dentsu, Fuji Television Network, Toho
- Camera: Takahito KASAI
- World sales: Pony Canyon
- Cast: Fumiyo KOHINATA, Eri FUKATSU, Yuki IZUMISAWA, Wakana AOI, Akira EMOTO
- German premiere
- Competition Nippon Cinema Award
From one moment to another the world goes dark in a catastrophic power outage. The Suzuki family decides to leave the struggling megalopolis of Tokyo and learns to survive in the Japanese countryside. Shinobu YAGUCHI’s charming film effortlessly mixes comedy, drama, and adventure genres while at the same time asking serious questions about the way we live.
Born in Kanagawa Prefecture in 1967, Shinobu YAGUCHI began shooting films on 8mm as a student at Tokyo Zokei University. In 1990, his short film THE RAIN WOMEN won the Grand Prize of the renowned PIA Film Festival. A PFF Scholarship enabled him to shoot his feature debut DOWN THE DRAIN (1993). Numerous successful works followed.
1993 Down the Drain (Hadashi no pikunikku); 1997 My Secret Cache (Himitsu no hanazono); 1999 Adrenaline Drive (NC ’03); 2001 Waterboys (NC ’05); 2004 Swing Girls (NC ’07); 2012 Robo-G (NC ’14); 2014 Wood Job (Wood Job! Kamusari nana nichijo)