The Long Excuse
- Friday, May 26, 20:00 Mousonturm Saal
- Sunday, May 28, 17:45 Mal Seh’n Kino
- Japan 2016, DCP, 124 min, Japanese with English subtitles, released to age 12 or older
- Director & script: Miwa NISHIKAWA
- Production: “The Long Excuse” Production Committee
- Camera: Yutaka YAMAZAKI
- World sales: Elle Driver
- Cast: Masahiro MOTOKI, Pistol TAKEHARA, Kenshin FUJITA, Tamaki SHIRATORI, Sosuke IKEMATSU
- German premiere
- Competition Nippon Cinema Award
Sachio is a ruthless egomaniac. When his wife Natsuko and her friend die in an accident, he unexpectedly assumes care of two little children and is forced to examine his priorities in life. Miwa NISHIKAWA’s latest feature is based on her own novel. Here, she applies her skill to an acerbically funny, yet deeply empathetic portrait of a man on the verge of a nervous breakdown.
Kindly supported by YASKAWA Europe GmbH
Miwa NISHIKAWA, born 1974 in Hiroshima, is one of the leading Japanese women directors. She received the Best New Director Award at the 2004 Yokohama Film Festival for her film WILD BERRIES (2003), produced by Hirokazu KOREEDA. Her feature DEAR DOCTOR (2009) won multiple prizes, including “Screenplay of the Year” at the Japanese Film Academy Awards 2010.
2003 Wild Berries (Hebi ichigo / NC ’04); 2006 Sway (Yureru); 2009 Dear Doctor (NC ’10); 2012 Dreams for Sale (Yume uru futari / NC ’13)