The Tokyo Night Sky Is Always the Densest Shade of Blue
- Sunday, May 28, 20:00 Naxoshalle Kino
- 映画 夜空はいつでも 最高密度の青色だ
Eiga yozora wa itsu demo saiko mitsudo no aoiro da
- Japan 2017, Bluray, 108 min, Japanese with English subtitles
- Director & script: Yuya ISHII based on poems by Tahi SAIHATE
- Production: Little More, Film-Makers, TV Tokyo
- Camera: Yoichi KAMAKARI
- World sales: PIA Film Festival
- Cast: Shizuka ISHIBASHI, Sosuke IKEMATSU, Tetsushi TANAKA, Ryuhei MATSUDA, Paul Magsalin
Two lost souls meet in the city jungle of Tokyo. Mika and Shinji, two quirky loners, slowly approach each other and learn that solitude is easier to bear together. The last few years have rarely brought other Japanese films with such unrestrained formal experiments that capture the life of its disillusioned protagonists in a unique way. A movie like its title – both cryptic and sensual.
Yuya ISHII, born in Saitama in 1983, graduated from Osaka University of the Arts. After directing many award-winning films, his biggest success to date is THE GREAT PASSAGE (2013), for which he won all important Japanese film awards as best director. After several big budget films for prestigious companies like Shochiku and Toho, THE TOKYO NIGHT SKY IS ALWAYS THE DENSEST SHADE OF BLUE can be considered a return to his roots in independent film.
2007 Girl Sparks (NC ’08); 2009 Sawako Deciof the (Kawa no soko kara konnichi wa / NC ’10); 2014 Our Family (Bokutachi no kazoku / NC ’15)